A Challenge from Animation West AfricaChronos Studeos
Do you dream of one place you’d rather be? If so, let your dream help shape your reality and get you noticed by a line-up of judges with true box office credentials in the professional world of CG/visualization.
Now in its fourth year, our friends at Animation West Africa (AWA) are running a challenge with the theme
A PLACE I WANT TO BE.
Says Sen-Deboh, the founder of Animation West Africa and host for the upcoming event: “This AWAChallenge2014 will take your competence and artistic confidence to the next level, so make up your mind to participate.”
Read on for full details of the challenge, including how to enter, from the creative minds at Animation West Africa …
:: DIRECTION – GUIDELINES & SUBMISSION FORMAT ::
- Check the guidelines and details on the official AWA flyer (below) and then register at //awafoundation.net/awachallenge2014_registration.php.
- You must work alone and not as a team.
- You are to create and submit, either as a 2d entry or a 3d entry, a depiction of that place you long for. Please note the this is NOT necessarily an environment design or landscape… it’s simply you bringing your artistic skills to the fore and showing that imaginary place where you would like to be, or have wished to be at some point in the past.. It could be a space terrain, desert, a junk yard, a cave, a box, or just in a vacation spot or a corner of your room. This allows you to be real and abstract at the same time. However, this place doesn’t have to be one we know or have seen before.
- To impress the judges you have to make it believable and as real as it could be… make them want to join you on a trip to this place, even though it’s in your head space only.
- To participate you need to be an AWA member. This is completely free of charge and you can very quickly and easily SIGN UP HERE FOR FREE MEMBERSHIP OF ANIMATION WEST AFRICA
- Once a member, you must show work in progress (WIP) on the AWA forum.
You can read the full details of the challenge, and more, on the official Animation West Africa website and follow AWA via their main social media accounts:
:: THE JUDGES ::
David is an Animator, Concept Developer & Educator. Together with the team surrounding brainpets GbR, he has developed a taste for projects which bridge artistic, scientific and technical ambitions across numerous media. These include corporate character concepts (Gasag AG, DHL, German Post), children’s formats and science communication projects.
He is the initiator of the award-winning software DrawDee – a dedicated non-photorealistic authoring environment targeting next-generation content creation for films and interactive applications by integrating cross-media output and servicing smaller, more flexible teams and individuals.
Ellery Connell has well over a decade of experience in interactive media, film, television, print and game design.
He has created numerous professional training series and taught seminars, both live and web-based, covering a wide variety of subjects related to motion graphic, visual effects,3D modelling, animation and post-production, and, most recently, has become an author of 3D for Graphic Designers, a book aimed at helping graphic designers get over those first hurdles of evolving their talents to include 3D.
Jeffrey was the first undergraduate Computer Graphics and Animator major at The Ohio State University, graduating and received his BA from the program 1997. Jasper worked with Dr. Midori Kitagawa to develop the curriculum for the program based which was off a similar graduate program offered through the Advanced Computing Center of Art and Design at Ohio Supercomputer Center. As part of his program Jasper worked in the computer labs developing multimedia material for use by professors and graduate students in their courses and presentations.
After his early days working as a freelance artist and IT administrator Jasper was hired by New Deal Studios in Los Angeles to work on the visual effects for X-Men: The Last Stand as a compositor. New Deal Studios is a fully integrated film production studio. NDS has made a name for itself by utilizing a diverse palette of digital and practical tools that range from graphic design, pre-visualization, anything-you-can-dream-up fabrication, effects and principle photography, live production, compositing, 3D animation, and post production.
A veteran in his own right as an instructor in 3d and animation in the US, Adeboye has worked as a comic artist and cartoonist in the 80’s with a popular newspaper, and was widely acclaimed for his thought provoking cartoons.
Between 1995 and 2011 he worked in the effects and inbetween artist departments on movies like The Road to El Dorado, The Iron Giant, Mulan, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Pocahontas and as a storyboard artist on The Little Angel. The Lead at Toon efx, and to further display his creative mind he is a keen musician and instrumentalist.
Vladimir is an award winning 3D Graphics and Web Designer with over 15 years of IT experience, including such projects as Intel, Carrier, Merit Medical, and more.
He has direct experience in Advertising (including both web and print), branding, visual psychology, corporate training, device drivers, and more.